The idea of starting a side hustle has been gaining momentum for the last couple of years. There are plenty of books, podcasts, and courses dedicated to helping you find your own side hustle. The idea is certainly appealing. Start a side business that will make you money while you continue working. In an ideal world you can start your side hustle for next to nothing and at some point in the not too distant future, quit your job. It’s not always as easy as it sounds, and for many people, just coming up with an idea can be the most difficult part.
The 50 best side hustle ideas for making money quickly while still working full-time.
If you have some extra time outside of work, side hustles are a great way to generate extra income whether you are paying off debt or want to save money for a once in a lifetime trip. Most people aim for making an extra $1000 a month but don’t expect to earn that kind of money right away.
I’ve put together a list of what I consider to be the 50 best side hustle ideas which are both cheap (or free) to start and almost anyone can do it.
- Drive for Uber, Lyft, or another ride-sharing company – While not as lucrative as it was a couple of years ago, there is still money to be made if you have a vehicle and are looking to put in the time.
- Deliver Food – If you have a car but don’t want to deal with passengers, you can always deliver food through a service like Uber Eats, DoorDash or even for your local pizza place.
- Take online surveys – There are a lot of online survey companies which will pay you for your opinion. Even Google will pay you with Google Rewards. You won’t be able to turn this side hustle into a full time job, but it may pay for your coffee for the month.
- Sell your photos or videos online – If you have decent equipment, talent and are willing to follow the rules, you can sell your stock photography or videos. There is always a demand for media and companies don’t always have the time to shoot their own.
- Sell handmade products on Etsy, Amazon, or Shopify – Do you have the ability to create physical products or artwork? There are a lot of great places you can sell your products. Even Amazon has a section specifically for handmade and custom-made products.
- Sell used goods on eBay – If you love to shop at yard sales and have an eye for finding great products other people would be willing to pay for, there is still some money to be made by reselling. Retro video games, Thomas the Tank Engine tracks, or even LEGO are always popular.
- Cut and trim lawns – If you have a lawnmower and possibly a trailer, there are always people willing to pay for their lawns to be cut.
- Dog walker or sitter – If you are around during the day, many people who are working in the office full-time will pay good money for their dogs to be entertained during the day.
- Write an eBook or online course – This is a great idea if you have a particular skill that would translate well into a book or video course. Even better is the passive income potential as once the book or course is created, you will earn money from every sale without having to do anything. This idea is very popular and if you’ve ever browsed online forums, there is usually someone trying to sell a course of some sort.
- Start a Blog – Do you have a particular interest? Blogs can still be a way to make money through sponsorships, affiliate links or Google Adsense. Blogging to make money takes a while to get off the ground if you are just starting up. Without regular and significant traffic coming to your website, you won’t see much in the way of revenue. If you have the time though, the barrier for entry is very low as it doesn’t cost much money to register a website and start a blog. The key is to have the desire to write regularly so that you continue to gain readers and don’t lose interest.
- Affiliate Marketing – Similar to using a blog to generate revenue, affiliate marketers will often use a blog or a review-style website to drive website traffic to companies who will pay for it. One of the biggest and easiest companies to start your affiliate marketing side hustle with is Amazon. They only pay when someone buys the product from their website and they’ve reduced how much they are willing to pay, but they make it easy to join and a massive selection of products to choose from.
- Housesit – If you are willing to stay in someone else’s house, there are people who are willing to pay for someone to stay at their house while they are away. They may have a pet that needs to be taken care of or they just don’t like the idea of leaving their house empty for an extended period of time. As a bonus, if you can rent your own place out while staying somewhere else, you can double the money you’re making.
- Rent your house/room – If you have a spare room or floor in your house that you don’t regularly use, renting it out is a good way to bring in some extra money. Either through a service like Airbnb or another online classified service. Just be sure to properly check into the potential renters first.
- Sell your services on Fiverr – You can sell a wide range of services through Fiverr and there is no limit to how much money you can make. They will of course take a cut from any sales but that’s true for most sites. They have over 300 categories for the types of services they offer, so it shouldn’t be hard to find at least a couple that you would be able to handle.
- Dropshipping – If you have some business knowledge and would like to start your own online retail store, dropshipping is the cheapest way you can get started. Essentially all you need to do is set up a website or online store and find the products you want to sell. Through a service like Shopify, you can find companies that will ship products directly to your customers, so you don’t have to worry about storing inventory.
- Create Digital Products – If you can create a digital product like a lesson plan or templates, you can sell the same product over and over again with little to no work by you. Some other ideas for digital products are prints such as First Day of School. Etsy is filled with ideas. The best part of digital products is that there is no shipping involved and your customers will be able to download the products immediately.
- Tutoring – If you have the patience and skills, there are a lot of people looking for tutors for their children.
- Rent storage space – Do you have a large garage, attic or shed with extra space? A lot of people have too much stuff and are looking to store their extra tires or even vehicles.
- Proof Reading / Editor – If you are a skilled writer and reader, there are people looking for the extra help. Sites similar to Fiverr can help you get started.
- Design and sell T-Shirts – Do you have some great ideas for t-shirts and possibly some graphic design skills? Amazon will even print and sell your t-shirt designs, all you have to do is apply for their Merch by Amazon program.
- Podcasting – It seems like everyone has started their own Podcast recently. If you have a large enough audience you can earn money from paid sponsorships. It doesn’t cost a lot to get started but you’ll need some basic skills in terms of audio editing and selecting the right equipment. Even better is if you have an online course, you can promote it or the content with a podcast.
- Event or Wedding Disc Jockey – You will need some money to purchase or rent the equipment but just about anyone can start and run a DJ business. You will need sound equipment, lighting, a website and music but you can easily earn $1000 for an evening of work.
- Join taskrabbit.com – With TaskRabbit you can offer a wide range of real-life services like putting together Ikea furniture. You can quickly start earning some extra money with this side hustle by doing things for other people that you would normally do around your own house.
- House Cleaning – If you have some extra time and don’t mind cleaning, you can earn a lot of money by cleaning other people’s houses. A lot of home owners are looking for some extra help around the house and if you can secure a couple weekly or monthly contracts, you will be well on your way to making $500/week or more.
- Organizer – Most people own way too much and need the help sorting and organizing.
- Setup WordPress – Not everyone is great at setting up their own websites or being able to make their site look like the demo sites. These days everyone should be online. As an added bonus, you may be able to charge even more money, on a continuing basis, to manage the website.
- Event bartender – If you are old enough and want to earn cash, working as an event bartender is a good side hustle. It’s usually less pressure than working at a bar and you can still earn good tips. Once life returns to normal, so will corporate parties and house parties.
There are so many side hustle ideas available that it’s easy to try several at the same time and see which one fits best with your skills and lifestyle. There are a lot of apps and websites available to help connect you with the people who want your help or are looking to buy what you have to sell. Some projects you do just for the enjoyment and some you can make money from, hopefully, you are able to find a side hustle that will satisfy both.